Equity Advisory Committee
Purpose: The District and Issaquah Education Association (IEA) are committed to equity work and share an interest in making the Issaquah School District a more equitable place to work and learn in alignment with equity goals as set by the ISD and IEA leadership.
Committee Makeup: The committee will be equal parts management and bargaining unit members chosen by the District and IEA leadership. Members of the Equity Advisory Committee will not exceed a maximum of 20.
Equity Advisory Committee focus areas:
- Reflecting and honoring the voices and lived experiences of our students and staff from historically marginalized groups.
- Using district approved mechanisms to collect stakeholder feedback.
- Developing a feedback loop to monitor progress, to inform future work, and to communicate with all stakeholders.
- Informing district work on the hiring and retention of staff of color.
- Communicating regularly their work to the appropriate district departments.
- Acting as a resource to support equity work in each building and striving for consistency between buildings.
- Analyzing the current process for students and staff to report racial, homophobic, or other derogatory slurs, harm, and threats and make recommendations for expanding existing processes with a focus on proactive and restorative practices.
- Making a path for educators to bring forth concerns with current curriculum in-between adoptions.
- Developing resources that are proactive as well as restorative for use across the district.
- Discussing other interests regarding equity.