2022F2 - 6-12 Responsible Use Agreement
Responsible Use Agreement for
students in grades 6-12
Digital technologies have become necessary to the lives of children and young people, both within schools and outside schools. These technologies are powerful tools, which open up new opportunities for everyone. These technologies can stimulate discussion, promote creativity and stimulate awareness of context to promote effective learning as students apply current and emerging technologies to extend their personal abilities and productivity as the accept the challenges of life in a dynamic global environment. Young people should have an entitlement to safe internet access at all times.
This Responsible Use Agreement is intended to facilitate:
- That young people will be responsible users and stay safe while using the internet and other digital technologies for educational, personal and recreational use.
- That school systems and users are protected from accidental or deliberate misuse that could put the security of the systems and users at risk.
The school will work to provide students good access to digital technologies to enhance their learning and will, in return, expect the students to agree to be responsible users.
RESPONSIBLE USE AGREEMENT
I understand that I must use school technology systems in a responsible way, to ensure that there is no risk to my safety or to the safety and security of the systems and other users. I understand that the District uses automated software monitoring for the purpose of staff monitor/review and possible contact home or student intervention when appropriate (suicide ideation, violence, sexual assault/harassment, sexual content, self-harm, bullying/harassment) when I’m using District systems, devices and digital communications.
This Responsible Use Agreement applies to digital technologies, social media tools, school email account, and learning environments established by the District, school or accessed using school owned networks or systems, including (although are not limited to):
- School owned devices (e.g. desktops, laptops, printers, scanners)
- Mobile phones
- Email and instant messaging
- Internet, Intranet, and cloud based storage (e.g.: OneDrive, Google Drive)
- Social networking sites (e.g. Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, TikTok)
- Video and photo sharing websites (e.g. Picasa, YouTube)
- Micro-blogs (e.g. Twitter)
- Forums, discussion boards and groups (e.g. Google groups, Whirlpool)
- Wikis (e.g. Wikipedia)
- Vod and podcasts
- Video conferences and live streaming (eg: Zoom, Teams)
This Responsible Use Agreement might also apply when I am using any of the above digital technologies at home, during school excursions and extra-curricular activities depending on the school-related nature of use.
For my own personal safety:
- I will keep my username and password safe and secure – I will not share it, nor will I try to use any other person's username and password. I understand that I should not write down or store a password where it is possible that someone may steal it.
- I will be aware of “stranger danger”, when I am communicating on-line.
- I will not disclose or share personal information about myself or others when on-line (this could include names, addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, age, gender, educational details, financial details etc.).
- If I arrange to meet people off-line that I have communicated with on-line, I will do so in a public place and take an adult with me.
- I will immediately report any unpleasant or inappropriate material or messages or anything that makes me feel uncomfortable when I see it on-line.
I understand that use of technology as a resource is important and:
- I understand that District systems and devices are primarily intended for educational use and that I will not use them for personal or recreational use unless I have permission.
- I will not try (unless I have permission) to make large downloads or uploads that might take up internet capacity and prevent other users from being able to carry out their work.
- I will not use the District systems or devices for on-line gaming, on-line gambling, internet shopping, file sharing, or video broadcasting (e.g. YouTube), unless I have permission of a member of staff to do so.
- I will not name or designate any District system, including programs, drives, files, networks(including Wi-Fi) or devices, in an inappropriate manner.
I will act as I expect others to act toward me and be a safe, responsible, and ethical user by:
- Acting in accordance with District Regulation 3207 when using District systems and devices
- Respecting others' work and property and will not access, copy, remove or otherwise alter any other user's files, without the owner's knowledge and permission.
- Communicate respectfully with others on social media, video conferencing and live-streaming.
- Respecting others and communicating with them in a supportive manner; never verbally or in writing participating in bullying
- Protecting my privacy; not giving out personal details, including my full name, telephone number, address, passwords, and images.
- Protecting the privacy of others; never posting or forwarding their personal details or images without their consent.
- Talking to a teacher or trusted adult if I personally feel uncomfortable or unsafe online, or if I see others participating in unsafe, inappropriate, or hurtful online behaviors.
- If I become aware of a student who may be in danger, I will report to a trusted adult.
- Carefully considering the content that I upload or post online; this is often viewed as a personal reflection of who I am.
- Investigating the terms and conditions (e.g. age restrictions, parental consent requirements)of apps and social media sites. If my understanding is unclear, I will seek further explanation from a trusted adult.
- Confirming that I meet the stated terms and conditions; completing the required registration processes with factual responses about my personal details.
- Abiding by copyright and intellectual property regulations. If necessary, I will request permission to use images, text, audio, and video and cite references.
- Not interfering with network systems and security, the data of another user, or attempting to log into the network with a username or password of another student.
- Not bringing to school or downloading unauthorized programs, including games.
- Keeping the device on silent during class times; only making or answering calls or messages outside of instructional times (except for approved learning purposes).
- Respecting the privacy of others; only taking photos or recording sound or video at school when I have formal consent or it is part of an approved lesson or activity.
- Obtaining appropriate consent from individuals who appear in images or sound and video recordings before forwarding them to other people or posting/ uploading them to online spaces.
I recognize that the school and District has a responsibility to maintain the security and integrity of the technology it offers me and to ensure the smooth running of the school. I understand that the school district has the right to monitor student activity on district equipment or when using district technology.
- I will only use my own personal devices (mobile phones / USB devices etc.) in school if I have permission. I understand that, if I do use my own devices at school, I will follow the rules set out in this agreement.
- I understand the risks and will not try to upload, download or access any materials which are illegal or inappropriate or may cause harm or distress to others, nor will I try to use any programs or software that might allow me to bypass the filtering / security systems in place to prevent access to such materials.
- I will immediately report any damage or faults involving school equipment or software, including network vulnerabilities, however this may have happened.
- I will not open any hyperlinks in emails or any attachments to emails, unless I know and trust the person / organization who sent the email, or if I have any concerns about the validity of the email (due to the risk of the attachment containing viruses or other harmful programs)
- I will not install or attempt to install or store programs of any type on any school device, nor will I try to alter computer settings.
- I will only use social media sites at the times that are allowed.
When using the internet for research or recreation, I recognize that:
- I should ensure that I have permission to use the original work of others in my own work.
- Where work is protected by copyright, I will not try to download copies (including music and videos).
- When I am using the internet to find information, I should take care to check that the information that I access is accurate, as I understand that the work of others may not be truthful and may be a deliberate attempt to mislead me.
- Artificial Intelligence tools can be helpful to start or review my schoolwork. However, I understand passing the work of AI off as my own original work is academically dishonest.
- Before using Artificial Intelligence apps to support me in my schoolwork, I will check with my teacher to understand the appropriate use of AI for the assignment.
I understand that I am responsible for my actions, both in and out of school:
- I understand that the school also may have the right to take action against me if I am involved in incidents of inappropriate behavior that are covered in this agreement when I am out of school where they involve substantial disruption of the school community or interference with another student's education (examples would be cyberbullying, use of images or personal information).
- I understand that if I fail to comply with this Responsible Use Policy Agreement, I will be subject to disciplinary action. This may include loss of access to the school network /internet, detentions, suspensions, expulsion, contact with parents, and in the event of illegal activities involvement of law enforcement.
Each year during registration and/or through the enrollment verification process, students and families are asked to acknowledge the Responsible Use Agreement to show that you have read, understood, and agree to the rules included in the Responsible Use Agreement. If you do not sign and return this agreement, access will not be granted to school systems and devices and your use of personal digital devices on campus may be limited.
I understand and agree to comply with the terms of responsible use and expected standards of behavior set out within this agreement. I understand that there are actions and consequences established within the District regulations, procedures, and guidelines, including my school's Student Code of Conduct, if I do not behave appropriately.
Last Revised: 07/2023