2190 - Highly Capable Programs
In accordance with the philosophy to develop the special abilities of each student, the District shall offer appropriate instructional programs to meet the needs of its most highly capable students of school age.
The framework for such programs shall encompass, but not be limited to, the following objectives:
- Expansion of academic attainments and intellectual skills;
- Stimulation of intellectual curiosity, independence and responsibility;
- Development of a positive attitude toward self and others; and
- Development of originality and creativity.
The superintendent shall establish procedures consistent with state guidelines for referring, assessing and selecting children of demonstrated achievement or potential ability in terms of general intellectual ability, academic aptitude and creative or productive thinking.
The District’s highly capable application and subsequent grant will be submitted to the Board for approval in accordance with state law.
- RCW 28A.185.030 Programs — Authority of local school districts — Selection of students
- WAC 392-170 Special service program — Highly capable students
- Policy News, April 2008 Highly Capable Programs