2190P - Highly Capable Programs Procedure
The following procedures shall be employed to refer, assess and select students to participate in the Highly Capable program:
All kindergarten students will be screened to determine eligibility for further testing for possible selection into the Highly Capable program. Parents may choose to exclude their student from screening for the Highly Capable program by completing an Opt-Out form.
All second grade students will be assessed by the District for possible selection into the Highly Capable Program. Parents may choose to exclude their student from testing for the Highly Capable program by completing an Opt-Out form
In addition to the District referral process outlined above, individuals including teachers, other staff, parents, students, and members of the community may refer a child for consideration for the program.
Referrals from individuals will be accepted between September 1st and September 15th of each school year.
The District’s referral procedure for determining students for possible eligibility for the Highly Capable Program may include screening procedures as allowed under the statute.
Individuals making a referral must use the District provided referral form. The following exceptions will apply:
- Referrals will not be accepted for students who were tested for the Highly Capable Program in the previous school year.
- Referrals for second grade students will not be accepted as testing for these students will occur mid-year.
- Referrals for students new to the District who enroll after September 15 will be accepted for ten (10) school days from the enrollment date.
- Students new to the District enrolling after the HCP fall testing window who meet the screening criteria will be assessed prior to the beginning of the next school year.
Multiple assessment criteria will be used to determine qualification for the program(s). This shall include:
- Cognitive ability
- Academic achievement (math and reading) on a standardized ability measure
- Exceptional creativity (as part of the second grade testing)
Prior to conducting assessment(s) the District shall obtain written parental permission.
Test results will be made available to parents.
A multi-disciplinary selection committee composed of a District administrator, psychologist, assessment director, or other individual who can interpret cognitive and achievement test results, and a Highly Capable Program teacher(s) will review data that has been collected for each of the students referred. Consistent with statute, the committee will identify the most highly capable students, selecting those students who would receive the most benefit from participating in the program. The District shall:
- Notify both the parents and the regular classroom teacher of the child’s admission to the program;
- Obtain parental permission to provide services; and
- Provide parents with program exit procedures.
D. Program Continuum of Services
The District will offer Highly Capable Program services to eligible students in grades K-12. Options for service for each student may include: accelerated learning opportunities, academic grouping arrangements that provide intellectual and interest peer group interactions, self-contained classroom, pull-out and/or push-in model, AP, IB, College in the High School, Running Start, and honors classes.
E. Appeal Process
Following the Multi-Disciplinary Selection Committee’s meeting(s) to determine student eligibility for placement into the Highly Capable Program, the District shall provide parents with appeal information as required by law.
The superintendent or designee shall provide an end-of-the-year report to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI).