3110P - Admission Age Requirements and Placement of Students Procedure
Exemptions to the minimum entrance ages will be permitted only in those instances where:
- A child, whose parent is requesting early entrance into kindergarten, must be five (5) years of age on or before November 30th of the year of entry.
- A child not otherwise eligible for kindergarten or first grade appears to be sufficiently advanced to succeed in the kindergarten or first grade program. As a minimum, eligibility for the exemption shall be based upon an analysis of the child's
- Mental ability,
- Gross motor skills,
- Fine motor skills,
- Visual discrimination,
- Auditory discrimination,
- Emotional/social development, and
- Language development.
Where feasible, assessment devices shall be used that shall permit students who are to be considered for exemption for kindergarten and first grade to demonstrate a maturity level at or above the 90th percentile in all seven categories as specified in district established criterion.
If a child meets or exceeds the norm in each ability area, the exemption shall be granted. The parents shall be notified of the exemption and that it may be withdrawn, no later than thirty (30) calendar days from the date of placement, if the child performs substantially below the expected level in any of the ability areas. In the event an exemption is denied or withdrawn, the parents shall be notified promptly.
- A child not otherwise eligible for entry into the first grade has successfully completed a kindergarten program in a public or private school, provided that the kindergarten program standards substantially equaled or exceeded the applicable basic education program requirements of RCW 28A.150.220 and WAC 180-16-200 through 220.
If the building principal has reason to believe that an individual child so qualified may not succeed in the first grade program, they have the option of placing the child in either the kindergarten or first grade for observational evaluation in the areas specified under Section B above. A final determination of the child's appropriate grade level placement will be made no later than thirty (30) calendar days from the day of placement.
- A child with a handicapping condition meets the eligibility requirements for a special education program and/or related services as provided in WAC 392-172-030.
- A child has transferred into the District from another school District or a private school located outside of the state of Washington in which the age for entry into school may be earlier than in Washington. In such cases every effort will be made to place the child in the most appropriate grade. Recommendation of the previously attended school will be considered in making the assignment.
Students who have been attending a public or private school located within the state of Washington and accredited by the Superintendent of Public Instruction will be bound by the state’s age of attendance statute and subject to District age waiver regulations and deadlines.
- A kindergarten child enrolled in the Issaquah School District may be referred for advanced placement.
Early entry exceptions will be granted without discrimination as provided by the provisions of WAC 180-40-215(1).
- A child of a military family in transition meets the definition and requirements set forth in RCW 28A.705.010