3114P - Part-Time, Home-Based, or Off-Campus Students Procedure
A part-time student is a student who is enrolled in the Issaquah School District for any amount of time less than a 1.0 FTE. This includes students who are receiving home-based instruction, students who are enrolled in an approved private school, students involved in an approved work training program or contract-based ALE students.
A. Home-based students
- Distribute letter of intent and District-developed supplementary application to interested parents upon request.
- If an off-campus program agreement is not established, clarify the parent's responsibility in providing home-based instruction including instructional time, subject matter, testing and student records.
- Advise the parent of their rights to enroll a student for part-time instruction and/or to receive ancillary services.
B. Private school students
- Private school students who are eligible for full-time enrollment in the Issaquah School District are permitted to enroll and receive ancillary and/or IEP services if such courses or services are not available in the student’s private school.
C. Off campus
Part-time off campus students include, but are not limited to, those in an approved work training program or contract-based ALE students.
Alternative Learning Experience (ALE)
- Meet with parent to review supplementary application and determine if parent wishes to enter into off-campus program agreement with the school District.
- If the parents wish to enroll the child for off-campus instruction (WAC 392-121-181), the parties will develop an agreement for each subject which provides for:
- The objective(s) of the program;
- The teaching component(s) of the program, including where and when teaching activities will be conducted by school District certificated staff;
- The duration of the program, including starting and ending dates within the school year;
- A description of how student performance will be supervised, evaluated, and recorded by the certificated staff or by qualified school District employees under the direct supervision of the certificated staff; and
- A description of intervention techniques and criteria for their use.
- The school will maintain proper documentation that includes the written plan, a log of contacts made with parent and student (verification by signature of parent), a log of meetings with a classroom teacher for the same grade level as the student.
- The school will assign a teacher to supervise the parent and student typical schedule: four (4) hours/month with parent and student; four (4) hours/month with staff.
All part-time students enrolled in the above noted activities will be claimed as "enrolled" for purposes of state financial support.
- RCW 28A.225.220 Adults, children from other Districts, agreements for attending school — Tuition
- RCW 28A.225.225 Applications to attend nonresident District
- RCW 28A.195.010 Private schools — Extension programs for parents to teach children in their custody — Scope of state control — Generally
- RCW 28A.225.010 Attendance mandatory — Age — Persons having custody shall cause child to attend public school — Exceptions
- RCW 28A.200.010 Home-based instruction — Duties of parents
- RCW 28A.200.020 Home-based instruction — Certain decisions responsibility of parent
- RCW 28A.150.350 Part-time students — Defined — Enrollment authorized — Reimbursement for costs--Funding authority recognition—Rules
- RCW 28A.600.310 Running Start program - Enrollment in institutions of higher education - Student fees - Fee waivers - Transmittal of funds
- WAC 392-121-182 Enrollment time credit-off-campus — Alternative Learning Experiences — Study time off-campus Instruction Requirements
- WAC 392-134-010 Attendance rights of part time public school students