Skip To Main Content

Search Panel

Schools Menu

3141 - Inter-District Transfers: Non-Resident Student

Any student who resides outside the District may apply to attend a school in the District. All applications for nonresident attendance will be considered on an equal basis. The District shall provide information on inter-District enrollment policies to nonresidents on request and have copies of the Superintendent of Public Instruction's annual information booklet on enrollment options in the state available for public inspection. 

A parent, guardian, or adult child shall apply for admission completing the appropriate District application. The superintendent/designee shall develop an application form which contains information including, but not limited to, the current legal residence of the child and the school District in which they are is currently enrolled or receiving home-based instruction, the basis for requesting release from the resident District and the specific building and grade level (elementary) or course offerings (Secondary) in which the student desires to be enrolled if accepted by the District.

The superintendent/designee will accept or reject an application for nonresident admission based upon the following standards:

  1. Whether space is available in the grade level or classes at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled;
  2. Whether appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the student’s condition as stated in requesting release from their District of residence;
  3. Whether the student’s attendance in the District is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff.
  4. Whether the student’s disciplinary records indicate a history of violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership (a gang means a group of three or more persons with identifiable leadership that, on an ongoing basis, conspires and acts in concert mainly for criminal purposes).
  5. Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the District’s Regulation for readmission of expelled students.
  6. Acceptance of the student will not result in financial hardship for the receiving District.
  7. Enrollment of a child would displace a child who is a resident of the District, (the child must be permitted to remain enrolled until they completes their schools).

If the non-resident student is the child of a full-time certificated or classified school employee, the Superintendent shall accept the transfer request unless the nonresident student:

  1. Has a history of convictions, violent or disruptive behavior, or gang membership;
  2. Has been expelled or suspended from school for more than ten consecutive days; or
  3. Enrollment of a child would displace a child who is a resident of the District, (the child must be permitted to remain enrolled until he or she completes his or her schools).

Parents are responsible for transportation and supervision to and from school or to the nearest established bus stop with space available.

All non-resident students must reapply for admission for each school year and will be accepted by the District based upon the same conditions as for other non-resident students applying to the District for the first time. Continuing attendance for non-resident students is not assured and may be refused by the District for the reasons of District over-enrollment, or excessive absences, academic non-performance or disruptive behavior on the part of the student. Once admitted a non-resident student may remain in the District for the full academic year, unless attendance, academic performance or behavior is unsatisfactory.

A student who moves out of the District does not automatically maintain the right to remain in the District, even though Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association eligibility rules would still allow them to continue in athletics in Issaquah. Students who move from the District must apply to remain in District schools and are subject to regulations outlined for all transfer students.

WIAA participation regulations require that students who transfer out of District are ineligible to participate in varsity athletics the first year following enrollment in the new District.

The superintendent/designee in a timely manner shall provide all applicants with written notification of the approval or denial of the application. If the student is to be admitted, the superintendent/designee shall notify the resident District and make necessary arrangements for the transfer of student records.

If the application is denied, the final decision of the District to deny the admission of a nonresident student may be appealed to the Superintendent of public instruction or his or her designee. 



Last Revised:


Related Forms:

Cross References:


  • RCW 28A.225.220 Adults, children from other Districts, agreements for attending school --Tuition
  • RCW 28A.225.225 Applications from nonresident students or students receiving home-based instruction to attend District school – School employees children – Acceptance and rejection standards - Notification
  • RCW 28A.225.230 Appeal from certain decisions to deny student’s request to attend Nonresident District –
  • RCW 28A.225.240 Apportionment of credit
  • RCW 28A.225.290 Enrollment options information booklet
  • RCW 28A.225.300 Enrollment options information to parents
  • WAC 392-137 Finance — Nonresident attendance