3520 - Student Fees, Fines, Charges
The District shall provide an educational program for the students as free of costs as possible. The superintendent may approve the use of supplementary supplies or materials for which a charge is made to the student so long as the charge does not exceed the cost of the supplies or materials, students are free to purchase them elsewhere, or provide reasonable alternatives, and a proper accounting is made of all moneys received by staff for supplies and materials.
The superintendent/designee shall establish appropriate fees and procedures governing the collection of fees. Arrangements shall be made for the waiver or reduction of fees for students whose families, by reason of their low income, would have difficulty paying the full fee. The USDA Child Nutrition Program guidelines shall be used to determine qualification for waiver. The superintendent shall establish a procedure for notifying parents of the availability of fee waivers and reductions.
A student shall be responsible for the cost of replacing materials or property which are lost or damaged due to negligence or wrongful conduct. When the student and parent are unable to pay for the damage, the district will provide a program of community service for the student in lieu of payment of monetary damages. The student or his/her parents may appeal the imposition of a charge for damages per the process set forth in the accompanying procedure.
The student and his/her parents shall be notified regarding the nature of the violation or damage, how restitution may be made, and how an appeal may be institute
- RCW 28A.220.040 Fiscal support — Reimbursement to school Districts — Enrollment fees — Deposit
- RCW 28A.225.330 Enrolling students from other Districts – Request for information and permanent records – withheld transcript – Immunity for liability – Notification to teachers and security personnel - Rules
- RCW 28A.320.230(f) Instructional materials — Instructional materials committee
- RCW 28A.330.100 Additional powers of board
- RCW 28A.635.060 Defacing or injuring school property — Liability of pupil, parent or guardian – Withholding grades, diplomas or transcripts – suspension and restitution – voluntary work program as alternative – Rights protected
- AGO 1965-66,#113 Fees — Tuition--Supplies — Authority of school Districts to charge tuition fees or textbook fees
- AGO 1973, No. 11 Tuition & Fees — Authority of school Districts to charge various fees