4260 - Use of District Facilities
School facilities primarily serve the educational needs of the students of the Issaquah School District. The District recognizes, however, that the facilities are suitable for other occasional, worthwhile community uses. This Regulation and its procedures provide direction for occasional use of school District facilities by the community. Occasional use is defined as use not otherwise controlled by separate contractual arrangements for lease or rental of facilities.
Such community activities which are consistent with the educational purposes of the District are permitted so long as they do not conflict with school programs and regular maintenance. Since formal education of the youth of this community is the prime mission of the public schools, the superintendent shall create categories of users which reflect the relative position of users to the primary mission of the schools.
Although the District encourages community use of facilities, the District recognizes its fiscal responsibilities; therefore, the District will charge reasonable fees to recover costs incurred through community use. Groups which exist primarily because of the school program shall not be charged for the use of facilities unless their use requires services which would result in additional costs for the District. A use fee based upon user classification may be charged to all other facility users. Those using school facilities shall maintain insurance for accident and liability covering persons using the District’s facilities under the sponsorship of the organization.
The District does not discriminate based on race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, honorably-discharged veteran or military status, sex, sexual orientation including gender expression or identity, marital status, the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability and provides equal access to Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups.
The superintendent/designee may cancel the use of a District facility if it is determined that persons and/or property might be endangered. A District employee shall be present and directly in charge of any building at the time of its use. Also, procedures attached to this policy must be accepted and followed by users.
Nothing contained in this Regulation and its procedures or in the granting of permission to use District facilities constitutes an endorsement, implied or actual, of any organization or any activity.
The superintendent/designee shall establish procedures for the use of school facilities, including fee schedules, supervisory requirements, restrictions, liability and security.
- RCW 4.24.660 Liability of school Districts under contracts with youth programs
- RCW 28A.320.510 Night schools, summer schools, meetings, use of facilities for
- RCW 28A.335.150 Permitting use and rental of playgrounds, athletic fields, or athletic facilities
- RCW 28A.335.155 Use of buildings for youth programs — Limited immunity
- 20 USC Sec. 7905 Boys Scout of America Equal Access Act
- 34 CFR Sec. 108.6 Equal Access to Public School Facilities For The Boy Scouts of America and Other Designated Youth Groups
- AGO 1973 No. 26, Initiative No. 276 School Districts — Use of school facilities for presentation of programs — Legislature — Elections
- Policy News, August 2009 Concussion and Head Injuries Legislation