4311P - Visitors Procedure
The following guidelines are established to permit visitors to observe the educational program with minimal disruption:
- All visitors must register at the office upon their arrival at school.
- Visitors whose purpose is to influence or solicit students shall not be permitted on the school grounds unless the visit furthers the educational program of the district.
- If the visitor wishes to observe a classroom, the time shall be arranged after the principal has conferred with the teacher.
- If the purpose of the classroom visitation is to observe learning and teaching activities, the visitor may be required to confer with the teacher before or after the observation to enhance understanding of the activities.
- The principal may withhold approval if particular events such as testing would be adversely affected by a visit. Similarly, if a visitor's presence becomes disruptive, the principal may withdraw approval. In either case, the principal shall give reasons for the action.
- If a dispute arises regarding limitations upon or withholding of approval for visits:
- The visitor shall first discuss the matter with the principal;
- If it is not satisfactorily resolved, the visitor may request a meeting with the superintendent. The latter shall promptly meet with the visitor, investigate the dispute and render a written decision, which shall be final, subject only to the citizen's right to raise an issue in open meeting at a regular session of the board.