5000 - Recruitment of Staff
It is the Regulation of the District that staff recruitment and selection directly support the mission of the District by maintaining a focus on continued improvement of the quality of teaching and learning within our schools. Staff are recruited and selected to assure that students grow and meet their full potential in District programs. Prospective staff will be sought who are highly effective, and have the necessary skills and experience to meet the learning needs of all students. The District works with teacher preparation programs, communicating the teaching skills, competencies, and experiences it considers of primary importance in its staff, and providing field experiences designed to train teachers to be able to improve student learning. Decisions about hiring, assigning, or transferring staff are based on maximizing the effectiveness of that staff member within the District’s programs.
The District shall provide all applicants and staff with an equal employment opportunity consistent with District Regulation 5010 – Non-Discrimination and Affirmative Action. Staff positions are established by the District to provide the District’s comprehensive program of education. New positions are established by the Superintendent/designee as needed. The superintendent establishes the necessary skills, competencies, qualifications, education, experience, and past performance levels for each position, as it relates to the District’s comprehensive program of education, and the goal of continued improvement in student learning. Selection of staff is based on which candidate is the most qualified for the position, and is made pursuant to the District’s standard screening, interview, reference check process, equity and legal requirements.
Positions are created within budget parameters and legal requirements. Part of the District’s strategic and short-term planning processes analyzes current and projected staffing requirements. The filling of individual positions is done with consideration to salary issues, budget parameters, and legal requirements. The superintendent or designee regularly evaluates the effectiveness of the District’s staff recruitment and selection processes.
- RCW 28A.400.300 Hiring and discharging employees — Written leave policies — Seniority and leave benefits of employees transferring between school Districts and other educational employers
- 28A.405.210 Conditions and contracts of employment — Determination of probable cause for non-renewal of contracts — nonrenewal due to enrollment decline or revenue loss — Notice — Opportunity for hearing
- 43.43.830 Background checks — Access to children or vulnerable persons — Definitions
- 43.43.832 Background checks —Disclosure of information--Sharing of criminal background information by health care facilities
- Chapter 162-12 WAC Preemployment Inquiry Guide (Human Rights Commission)
- P.L. 99-603 (IRCA)Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986