5001 - Hiring of Retired School Employees
The District will recruit, select and employ the best-qualified individuals as employees. The District may employ persons retired from the Teachers’ Retirement System (TRS), the School Employees’ Retirement System (SERS) or the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS). A retired employee will only be rehired pursuant to this District policy.
All retirees of TRS, SERS or PERS receiving retirement benefits may work an annual threshold of eight hundred sixty-seven (867) hours in a calendar year without a reduction of pension. Qualified hours are determined by whether the retiree works in an eligible position as defined by the Department of Retirement Systems (DRS).
1. District Responsibilities
The District will abide by the following process when considering a retiree for employment:
- The District will approve a process for recruitment and selection of employees, including those vacancies for which a retiree applicant may be considered;
- Applicant(s) will be evaluated and considered equally, selecting the candidate who best meets the needs of the District;
- There will be no prearranged employment agreement or commitment to rehire an employee after retirement. Mere inquiries about post-retirement employment do not constitute an agreement;
- Employment will be limited to a maximum of a one-year, non-continuing contract or appointment; Subject to any applicable bargaining agreements, vacancies filled by retirees will be annually reviewed by the board to determine whether the retiree will be rehired for another year of employment;
- The District will provide the retiree with the same terms and conditions of employment as other appointees or employees in comparable positions with the exception of sick-leave cash-out; and
- The District will report the number of hours worked by the retiree to DRS.
2. Retired Employee Responsibilities
The following conditions of employment will apply to retirees that are re-employed:
Retired applicants will disclose to the District whether they are retired from a Washington state retirement plan.
- Employees must satisfy the DRS requirement for separation and retirement from service prior to accepting a retire/rehire position with the District.
- Retirees are subject to the same collective bargaining membership as other one-year temporary employees.
- Retirees are responsible for tracking service hours during post-retirement employment among multiple employers.
- Chapter 41.32 RCW Teachers' retirement
- 41.40 Washington public employees' retirement system