6001 - Budget and Program Planning
Budget and Program Planning
A District's annual budget is tangible evidence of the Board's commitment toward fulfilling the aims and objectives of the instructional program. The budget expresses in specific terms the services to be provided, consistent with immediate and long-range goals and resources available and establishes priorities within broad program areas such as basic education, other separately funded programs and support services. The budget shall set forth the complete financial plan of the District for the ensuing year.
Prior to presentation of the proposed budget for adoption, the superintendent shall prepare for the Board's study and consideration appropriate documentation supporting his/her recommendations, which shall be designed to meet the needs of students within the limits of anticipated revenues consistent with reasonable management practices.
Program planning and budget development shall provide for staff participation and the sharing of information with patrons prior to action by the Board.
Notice and Conduct of Budget Hearings
Upon completion of the proposed District budget for the ensuing school year, notices shall be published in a local paper of general circulation in two (2) successive weeks announcing the date, time and place of the budget hearing as required by law. The notice shall also state that any person may appear and be heard for or against any part of such budget. The last notice shall be published no less than seven days prior to the hearing.
Copies of the proposed budget shall be made available at the District office by July 10th unless the superintendent of public instruction has delayed the date because of the state operating budget was not adopted by June 1st.
The District shall submit one (1) copy of its budget to its educational service District for review and comment.
Budget Adoption and Filing
The budget for all funds for the ensuing school year shall be adopted by Board resolution no later than August 31, following a public hearing. The budget as adopted shall be filed with the educational service District, no later than September 3, which in turn will file a copy with the Superintendent of Public Instruction.
- RCW 28A.300.060 Studies and adoption of classifications for school District budgets-- Publication
- RCW 28A.320.010 Corporate powers
- RCW 28A.320.020 Liability for debts and judgments
- RCW 28A.320.090 Preparing & distributing information on District's instructional program, operation and maintenance limitation
- RCW 28A.330.100 Additional powers of the Board
- RCW 28A.400.300 Hiring and discharging employees – Seniority and leave
- RCW 28A.505 School Districts’ Budgets
- RCW 28A.505.040 Budget – Notice of completion – Copies – Review by ESD
- RCW 28A.505.060 Budget—hearing and adoption—copies filed with ESD
- RCW 28A.505.080 Budget—disposition of copies
- RCW 28A.510 Apportionment to District -District Accounting
- WAC 392-123-054 Time Schedule for Budget