6600 - Student Transportation
The District may provide transportation to and from school for a student:
- Whose residence is beyond the one mile radius from the school to which the student is assigned;
- Whose walking route to school is hazardous;
- Whose disability prevents him/her from walking or providing for his/her own welfare while walking; or
- Who has another compelling and legally sufficient reason to receive transportation The parent or guardian of a student whose assigned bus stop is beyond the maximum walking distance may receive reimbursement for private transportation at the state mileage reimbursement rate.
The District's transportation program shall comply in all ways with state law and regulation. Transportation services of the District may include approved bus routes, District-approved field trips, school activities (participants only) and extracurricular activities (rooters). The superintendent is authorized to permit a parent of a student enrolled in school to ride a bus when excess seating is available and private or other public transportation is not reasonably available.
The superintendent/designee may authorize children attending an approved private school to ride a school bus provided that the bus route and stops are not altered, space is available, and a fee to cover the per seat cost for such transportation is collected.
- RCW 28A.160 Student transportation
- RCW 28A.160.020 Authorization for private school students to ride buses
- RCW 28A.160.030 Authorizing individual transportation
- WAC 392-141 Transportation – State allocation for operations
- WAC 392-172A-01080 Free appropriate public education
- WAC 392-172A-02095 Transportation