6605P1 - Bus Safety and Emergency Preparedness Procedure 1
Emergency drills should be performed on all morning routes three times each school year. A report shall be turned in by the driver to the director of transportation following each drill.
These emergency drills are to be held on school property. Procedures for these drills are as follows:
- Shut off motor, set hand brake, leave bus in gear and pull keys.
- The driver shall point out the location and explain the operation of emergency equipment as follows:
- Instruct students on opening, closing and exiting from emergency exit doors and windows. The driver shall personally supervise the exiting of students through the exit door with the assistance of older students or staff members standing on each side of the door to assist students exiting the Persons assisting in the drill shall offer a helping hand, palm up, and shall avoid grasping a student's hand or arm. During emergency exit drills, students will exit only through the emergency doors; however, in an actual emergency they should be instructed to use any and all exit doors that are not blocked.
- Show students where fire extinguishers are located and instruct students on how to remove and operate the fire Fire extinguishers are not to be actually used during the emergency drills.
- Show students where first aid kits are located and advise them of contents and proper use of medical supplies contained in these kits.
- Show students the location of emergency warning devices and advise them of the proper use of these devices.
- Students should be able to take care of themselves in case the driver is injured and cannot direct emergency operations and should be instructed to assist driver if they are injured.
- Upon completion of emergency exit drills, drivers shall complete the official bus emergency exit drill report and return it to the director of transportation.