Science Technology Magnet Program
The Science Technology Magnet Program is an option program for 4th and 5th grade students in the Issaquah School District. This means that it does not have an official boundary. The program is located at three school sites: Briarwood, Cascade Ridge and Clark. Families who wish to have their student attend the Science Technology Magnet Program at one of the three sites must submit an application to the program lottery. Three lotteries will be held - one for each program site. Each lottery will determine placement that site and a wait list for each site. Families may submit an application to one site only.
The enrollment lottery application period for the 2023-24 School Year will be March 1, 2023 4:00 pm through March 31, 2023 at 4:00 pm.
Students living in the Issaquah School District Boundary may apply for the Science Technology Magnet Program during the application window. Applications are also accepted from private school and home-based students living with the Issaquah School District boundaries. If private school or home-based students are selected for the program during the lottery the family will be asked to complete the Issaquah School District registration process. Applications received after 4:00 pm on the due date will NOT be considered for the lottery process for 2023-24. Applications are not ranked based on the date they are received.
Families may apply on the Issaquah School District Science Technology Magnet Program webpage. Please use under the application tab below. The link will be posted and live on March 1 at 4:00 pm. Once the application is submitted online families will see a message immediately on the screen confirming that the application has been received by the Elementary Special Programs Office.
For families without internet access or an email account, please reach out by phone 425.837.7120 or come into the Issaquah School District Administrative Building to set up an appointment to complete the application.
Applications received after the Enrollment Window Deadline Date at 4:00 pm will not be considered for the lottery.
Science Technology Magnet Program Overview
The Science Technology Magnet Program AT A GLANCE:
- Option program for 4th and 5th grade students in the Issaquah School District located at Briarwood, Cascade Ridge and Clark Elementary Schools.
- Enrollment determined by lottery during the spring of the 3rd grade year.
- Students transfer to the new school site and make new friends.
- Standard, district adopted curriculum used including specialists for P.E., music, library.
- Focus on community, collaboration, creativity & personal connections to real world applications.
- STEM focused virtual and in-person field trips.
- Students with IEP’s will have scheduled pull-out times that align with their minutes.
- Students in SAGE will continue with SAGE services at the new school site.
- Includes grade level district programs like 5th grade F.L.A.S.H.
- SBA testing (+WCAS Science for 5th grade) is given.
- Behavior expectations for the classroom & school are the same as any school in district.
- Siblings may transfer and remain at the Science Technology Magnet School site until the Science Tech. student completes 5th grade. At that time they must return to the neighborhood or apply for a transfer.
- Students return to their neighborhood middle and high school.
- Parents must transport students. Contact list is shared to assist parents with arranging carpools.
WHAT MAKES the Science Technology Magnet Program a STEM PROGRAM?
- The Science Technology Magnet Program provides students the opportunity to develop a variety of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics competencies over the course of their 4th and 5th grade years.
- Research shows that children need educational experiences in which adults foster and guide their innate curiosity and ways of thinking about the world into formal learning experiences that allow them to develop meaningful understandings of STEM disciplines.
- While the teachers use the district adopted curriculum, STEM is integrated through all content areas.
- There is a focus on our community and students are given opportunities to be problem solvers and change makers.
- STEM is our culture, not a curriculum.
WHAT MAKES THE SCI-TECH PROGRAM UNIQUE?
- Two-year, multi-age integrated program for the 4th and 5th grade years.
- Team teaching approach (2 teachers) in 2 joined classrooms. (50 students)
- Lottery structured to ensure that the students in the class represent all schools from across the district.
- Leadership and mentoring from older students.
- Deeper, extended coverage of science curriculum and additional science units.
- Project-Based Learning (PBL)/Inquiry-Based Learning.
- Units and projects involving engineering and the Engineering Design Process.
- Technology integration across all content areas.
- Focus on 21st century skills and dispositions necessary for post high-school success such as collaboration, critical thinking creativity, and communication.
- Thoughtfully planned in-person and virtual field trips to enhance learning.
- In-person and virtual guest teachers and speakers.
Contact the Science Technology Magnet Program
Department Email: ScienceTech@issaquah.wednet.edu
Science Technology Magnet Program Staff:
Director, Page Perey
Assistant to the Director, Heather Ross
Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA): Lori Shimizu
Address: Issaquah School District | Science Technology Magnet Program | 5150 220th Ave SE | Issaquah, WA 98029