ALE vs Home-Based Instruction
Statement of Understanding
In accordance with the Alternative Learning Experience Implementation Standards, reference WAC 392-550, prior to enrollment, parent(s) or guardian shall be provided with documentation attesting to the understanding of the difference between Home-Based Instruction (homeschooling) and enrollment in a public school Alternative Learning Experience (ALE).
- Is provided by the parent or guardian as authorized under RCW 28A.200 and 28A.225.010.
- Parent has filed an annual Declaration of Intent with the district
- Students are neither enrolled nor eligible for graduation through a public high school unless they meet all district and state graduation requirements.
- Students are not subject to the rules and regulations governing public school, including course, graduation, and assessment requirements.
- The public school is under no obligation to provide instruction or instructional materials, or to otherwise supervise the student’s education.
Home-Based Instruction students may have access to ancillary services and may enroll in a public school course on a part-time basis (less than full-time) where space is available. Students are responsible for maintaining acceptable attendance and for meeting the course and school requirements for courses in which they are enrolled. They maintain their Home-Based Instruction student status.
Alternative Learning Experience Program
- Is authorized under WAC 392-121-182 and provided via WAC 392-550.
- Students are enrolled in public education.
- Students are subject to the rules and regulations governing public schools, including course, graduation, and assessment requirement for all portions of the ALE.
- Instructional materials used for coursework meet district standards and are free from sectarian control or influence.
- Learning experiences are:
- Supervised, monitored, assess, and evaluated by certificated staff (weekly contact and monthly review).
- Designed learning experiences planned together with student, parent and teacher.
- Provided via a Written Student Learning Plan (WSLP).
- Provided in whole, or part, outside the regular classroom.